Get me outta here!

Friday, 2 January 2015

Taking Stock of 2014 and Wish List for 2015

And just like that, 2014 is gone! Along the way, among other momentous events, I turned thirty three, stayed afloat, met some more idiots and tolerated them for the sake of this blog, got a tattoo, cut my hair short, started living alone for the first time in my life, learnt some important lessons and tried to make life more interesting and fun.

Time to review the old wish list and make a new one, eh?

So here’s my success rate for 2014:
  • Get healthy: 90% J
  • Get rid of the black dog: Around 80%. There have been ups and downs but most important - I’m completely off medication. I’d love to keep it that way J
  • Regular Yoga and Running: 30% L
  • Start the long delayed blog: Well, 100% for starting, keeping it going is around 50% K
  • Travel: 50% K...lot of travel but not the kind I had in mind. More of revisiting places for weddings and reunions and funerals.
  • Photography: 20% L L
  • Animal welfare: 95% J L...last year has been an eye opener. I got quite involved in it but right now I'm very disillusioned about animal welfare in India, the main reason being the kind of people I met over the last year. Don’t get me wrong, there are a LOT of people doing a LOT for animals, it’s just that they are horrible to each other. There’s so much of ego, self-righteousness, know-it-all attitude…makes for a lot of unpleasantness.      
  • Non-vegetarian food and leather products: 95% J
  • Tattoo: 100% and loving it! J J
  • Promotion: Bleh L…not happening any time soon. Must look for greener pastures. Things have been boring* and hopeless at work, it's been a super demotivating year.  
  • Mr. Right: Uh…nope. I think I have a better chance of spotting the Loch Ness Monster or meet a unicorn. Come to think of it, that might actually be more fun :D 
  • Creative stuff: 30-40% K
  • Get back in touch: Meh. Not happening next year either. No regrets.
  • Book reviews and quotes: Meh. Not so enthusiastic about this anymore. 
  • Feel a sense of purpose: Cannot quantify this, but it’s been there on and off and kept me moving forward....let's go with a here.

Highlight of 2014: Adopted a disabled little rescue, and it’s been by far the best thing I’ve done all year. JJJ
Lowlight of 2014: People. A lot of my “friends” were such a big letdown. I don’t know if my expectations from them were too unreasonable or they were just being jerks, but I got to see the unpleasant side of some close “friends”. LLL

2015 Wish List 
  • Writing: Lot more blogging and other kinds of writing. Two posts a month at the least. The last post on this blog was 5th May 2014. Terrible L.
  • Yoga and Running: I have a treadmill now, and just bought super expensive running shoes, so this better be at least 80% by the end of this year.
  • Travel: As much as I can manage given the financial state of affairs and the leave situation at work J
  • Photography: Must pick up the camera and shoot more. Learn some good post processing as well.
  • Career focus and growth: Given the stagnation at work I've experienced in this past year, it’s high time I look for options and move on to better things.
  • Animal Welfare: Going to take a break from organizations and people, but continue to do what I can at a personal level. Continue to be almost-vegetarian, and reduce consumption of dairy. What happens to all those poor animals is unspeakable, anything I can do to reduce that suffering will be done.   
  • Creative Stuff: Must keep trying new things.
  • Optimism: Must take each day with a lot more positivity, and keep the negativity and depression away. I realized I've become so much of a pessimist, my entire outlook towards life is changing for the worse. I've never been big on optimism, but given how the last five years have passed, I've become this cynical, despondent, hopeless fatalist. And that’s a terrible way to be, it’s too heavy a load to carry. So here’s me dumping all that s*it right here, and moving on with the hope that I never pick it back up.
  • Expectations: For the sake of my peace of mind and to avoid disappointment and hurt especially from those who I consider close, I shall try to tone down all and any expectations I have from these people.
Cheers to a fantastic 2015!

*Conditions apply ;)

6 comments:

  1. Great yaar.... you almost got first division overall in 2014. I dared to review my list and found I have flunked almost everywhere except work wise.
    All the best for 2015. Stay away from old "jerks" and please dont attract any new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a good and eventful year. We in the same boat and high time to call off the jerks to bring more positive vibes in our lives.
    One question: How did you get this lay out coz I am looking one for my second blog. Blogspot lay out can be quite boring but, somehow, like this one.
    You can check my other blog on vishal-newkidontheblock.blogspot.com
    Happy New Year:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got this template from http://newbloggerthemes.com/ but I have to tell you I'm not very happy with it. Looks wise it's great but functionality wise, it's difficult. I can't add the regular blogger widgets on this for some reason :/

      Delete
  3. Happy new year to you and all your loved ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see that 2014 was mostly good and wishing a great 2015...
    Loved your blog!

    ReplyDelete

So....what d'ya think?