Get me outta here!

Wednesday, 19 February 2014

The One Where I Got Rejected

There was this one guy - not going to bother making up a name for him - who rejected me after two days of email and IM exchanges. Based on the conversation, telling him one or more or all of the following are reasons why I got rejected:
  • I do drink.
  • I like to go out and “party” occasionally, in response to his question - “Are you a party type of person?”
  • My younger sister is married to a boy from UP. His next questions  - “You are Brahmins right? Iyers?”
  • I do not know how to cook.
  • I am independent and take most of my decisions alone, I consult others where I feel it’s needed - in response to him telling me that his dad takes the important decisions in his family.
  • I am a non-vegetarian. He asked if I am willing to give it up after marriage. I said I’m willing to give it up as soon as I find the right reason, and my future husband/his family not wanting me to eat non-vegetarian food doesn't qualify. 
  • I wouldn't want to live with my in laws post marriage and would like my own house and space. His idea of moving out of his parents’ house after marriage was to move to the first floor of his parents’ house. 
  • I am quite career oriented and that is the focus of my life right now. 
I’m just surprised there’s internet connectivity in the cave he lives in :D


19 comments:

  1. So many stories! And such amazing human beings.
    My favorite when my close friend was going the arranged marriage way was, when she mentioned that she was allergic to certain proteins and had to manage her diet accordingly, she was rejected. for that.
    Best bit, he was deaf in one ear. Which my friend felt was not good enough reason to reject someone. I am just so happy for her, that he did.
    These stories are from a different world altogether for me TTS, but they still annoy me. I am happy they amuse you. They annoy me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annoyance, anger, frustration, sadness....I went through all of these before settling on amusement. Much more fun now :)

      Delete
  2. Hahahahaaa ... :D :D you know I reject guys for a lot of these reasons too... Like eating non-veg etc.. .but that's because I really hate something else and I don't have strong enough point to tell my mom.. My mom always buys "if he drinks and eats non-veg...he's rejected" :D :D

    But way to go!! I am usually rejected when I say, I won't move from Bangalore, unless I find a good job in your city or else where, and that I am spiritual and not religious and I can't do the tons of pooja-paths people do in Souh India! It's very easy to get rejected :D :D ;)

    Internet connectivity in the cave that he lives in... LOL :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey, be happy he rejected you. You would have hit this fly with a newspaper to death anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha.....I love how you put it :))

      Delete
  4. Ohhh...you don't deserve a caveman!;)

    In my case, my parents mentioned that we would like to live closer to the city as I couldn't travel for 2 hours one way by train everyday to come to office..they accepted then but I had to stay for nearly 3 months before we were allowed to move out and MIL to this day bitches that I separated her family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's bad. I don't know why needing your space is such a big deal in India. And in your case you had an even bigger reason!

      Delete
  5. I just rejected someone telling that he does drink just because I could not make my parents understand why I dint want a person who talks a lot. ;)
    Nice post. Spot on comparison to a caveman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yupp whatever works to get out of it :D

      Delete
  6. He indeed is a caveman if he thinks your points are not valid. "I am quite career oriented and that is the focus of my life right now. " - this point alone has made people reject me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So unfair, women are still expected to be "homely" and "family oriented".

      Delete
  7. Hahaha.
    Gosh, I hate how women are expected to give up everything they believe in just to fit into the stereotype of what people think is "appropriate".

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol.. the last line was the winner... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply because your views don't align with his doesn't mean he should be ridiculed for possessing a stone-age mentality ..I liked your frankness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I'm not ridiculing him! Merely stating that he possesses stone-age mentality like you mentioned, with facts to substantiate that assertion :D

      Delete
  10. Hahaha... Loved the whole post but loved the last line a bit more.

    ReplyDelete

So....what d'ya think?