Get me outta here!

Monday, 3 February 2014

Ten Reasons Why Being Thiry-Two and Single Rocks

Remaining single, as I mentioned before, has been my choice. Part of the reason is that I haven’t found the right person yet. And the other part of the reason is that the wild, independent streak in me refuses to settle down. When I sat down to see the brighter side of my life right now, the ideas just kept coming :D
Here are the top 10:

1. You have all the space you want, and it’s your rules. 
In your house, in your room, on your bed, in your closet, in your bathroom. Ever since I can remember, I’ve loved my space. I find it uncomfortable whenever someone visits me and I have to share my room or bathroom. Especially with guys. I mean, how difficult is it to put the toilet seat back down!! Even if your house or room is messy, it’s messed up your way!

2. You have the independence to be as spontaneous as you want. 
You are not really time bound to get back home at a certain time. You don't have commitments holding you back. You can make plans on the fly and just go with the flow. You can pack up and move easily to a new place. Take off on a trip suddenly.

3. You can date and flirt. You have your options open and can play the field.
Need I elaborate?

4. You learn to be self-sufficient. 
Being alone, you end up doing a lot of things that typically your dad or brother or husband does around the house. Ladies, do not underestimate the satisfaction you get from changing the tube lights or from fixing the flush tank. You learn to deal with most things life throws at you - from house hunting to going to a hospital when you are sick - by yourself.

5. You can focus on your career, and give it your all. 
You can grow as a professional, chart out your career path without any pauses or breaks - typically associated with marriage and moving to a new city or having kids.

6. You learn to be financially independent, and you control your finances. 
You learn to manage your own money. And if you are a shopaholic like me, you definitely don’t need someone sensible telling you how (not) to spend your money.

7. You are more confident and self-assured. 
Since you've been on your own for a while now, you've experienced and dealt with more of the world. You can also handle men and relationships much better at 32 than at 22. Naivety and gullibility are history, you are more mature and sensible. Well, most of the time anyway :D

8. You don't have that pressure to have kids. 
Since you’re not even married, people are busy asking you the other irritating question - when are you getting married. So, on the brighter side, you don’t have to deal with baby related decisions and questions. I see so many of my friends and co-workers and cousins going through these tough questions - should I have a kid, when should I have a kid, why am I not conceiving, how do I bring up my kid right, which school do I pick...I’m glad I don’t have to worry about these.

9. No need to socialize with the in-laws. 
I am a fairly asocial person, I barely socialize with my own parents. Don’t get me wrong, I love them and all, but we’re not the kinda family who have all three meals together at the dining table, or spend a lot of quality time together. But when you talk about in-laws, you have to do these things. No matter how nice they are, you can’t be as comfortable as you are at your own home with your parents.

10. You have more time for yourself and you can do so much.
In the past year alone, I have learnt new crafts, started writing, read so much, traveled, redecorated my place, volunteered for animal welfare and learnt yoga. You have time and you have solitude, and this is a wonderful chance to listen to what your heart says, and get a better sense of yourself.


‘nuff said!

30 comments:

  1. Good one! Being single is really fun. :) It is definitely better than average relationships/marriages. People smugly settle for mediocre marriages just to get rid of single-hood. Being single is not that bad as long as you are confident, creative and charming. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You nailed it...being single is better than an average relationship!

      Delete
  2. Love it! I totally agree with all the points (even though the toilet seat issue never bothered me...I had more of a problem with aiming or rather, the lack of aiming!). There's so much freedom and not needing to check with someone before making plans...you can choose to do what you feel like when you feel like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thankfully the aim was not an issue I've faced so far!!

      Delete
  3. I agree to all your points.. Especially the last one.. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty decent going actually :)

      Delete
  4. Super reasons!

    Loved the story at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of us are independent. Even a small kid wants to be independent, as far as possible. After marriage, people are under pressure to show that they are always happy to the world, and hence they become hypocrites.

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree, so agree with you. Being single is fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hhahahahhh oh Yea!!! being single def is funn. i have had my share of fixing lights n flush tanks, and also the lower pipe watever that is called, and yea it was super fun.. ANd well yes you have jotted all teh reasons to be single so well.. however, im gonna make this blaahhh, irrespective of how "Saucesome" it is being single. Id def not wanna be single ... :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen to all your points. Enjoy it to the fullest :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. You so know how to see the positive side in every situation. xD

    #StalkingInProcess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh...how'd I do? Stalk worthy enough? :D

      Delete
  10. Loved the post and agree with all the points. Have loads of fun TTS :) No.1, 8 and 9 rock :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahahaa... That's such a feel good post! :D :D Being single is definitely fun, especially after Ive seen my married friends struggling... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you have all the fun before you get hitched ;)

      Delete
  12. Lovely reasons! Felt so good reading this! Happy and proud being single :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. No 3..... No 3 .... No 3 takes the cake. And I miss a bit of No 10 as well. But I am doing good on most of the other points (being 34 and married) so I guess life is being pretty fair to me so far. Your list mad me rediscover that. Thanks.
    PS. I am almost done with my "Man cave" so now I guess I can improve the score on No 1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BT you crack me up. As if you did a lot of No. 3 when you were single!!

      Delete

So....what d'ya think?